How to Clean Curtains
Top tips for keeping your curtains pristine, from vacuuming and steam cleaning to damp cloth rubs and machine washing for certain fabrics. Absolute Blinds in Welwyn Garden City, with 25 years of experience, offers expert advice and high-quality curtains to enhance your home environment.
Curtains affect your indoor comfort and lighting more than you probably realise. With the right care and maintenance, you can keep them looking as fabulous as the day they were fitted. If you’ve been wondering how to clean curtains, this guide has the answers you seek!
Clean with a Vacuum
The fastest way to freshen up your curtains is with your trusty vacuum cleaner. This household tool removes dust, pet hair and other pesky particles clinging to your beautiful window coverings. Here’s a quick step-by-step guide for how to clean curtains with a vacuum:
- Affix the upholstery attachment to your vacuum cleaner, which is softer and kinder to your curtains than a regular nozzle.
- Close your curtains fully and start from the top, working your way down to ensure you don’t miss any spots.
- Use light, gentle strokes to prevent damage to the fabric. Give extra attention to the edges, especially the bottom, where the curtains meet the windowsill or floor.
- Repeat this process on the reverse side of your curtains and any linings you have.
Use a Hand-Held Steam Cleaner
If your curtains look a little rumpled, a hand-held steam cleaner is a trusty tool for neatening creases and removing wrinkles. Follow this handy step-by-step cleaning curtains guide:
- Preheat the steam cleaner and wait until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Close your curtains fully and start from the top, gently moving the steam cleaner in large, sweeping movements down the length of the fabric.
- For certain materials like velvet, it’s best to steam clean the reverse side only.
- Once steamed, let the curtains dry naturally, smoothing out any creases by hand to avoid wrinkles setting back in.
Rub with a Damp Cloth
A slightly wet cloth does wonders for removing small splatters and spills from curtains. Simply dampen a clean cloth with warm water, then gently rub at the stain until it lifts. Remember, it’s best to treat spills immediately to prevent them from setting into the fabric.
Machine Wash If Possible
If your curtains are made from robust fabrics like cotton, polyester, nylon, acrylic or linen, you can usually pop them in the washing machine for a thorough cleanse. However, check the care label before doing this. Here’s an easy-to-follow guide:
- Take the curtains down, removing all hooks, weights and any other hardware. Shake the fabric outside to remove dust.
- Pre-treat stains with a stain remover.
- Wash in cold water on a gentle cycle with mild detergent, or follow the instructions on the care label.
- Rinse thoroughly and opt for a low spin cycle.
- If you use the dryer, remove the curtains whilst still slightly damp. Then, iron on low heat if the care label allows.
- Dust and clean the curtain tracks, windows and sills before refitting the curtains.
Dry Clean If Required
Curtains made of velvet, velour, chenille, tapestry, brocade, wool or silk, as well as interlined curtains, should be left to the professionals for dry cleaning. It’s crucial to respect the ‘dry clean only’ recommendation to prevent damaging or shrinking these delicate fabrics. You may also choose dry cleaning over other methods if your curtains are large and heavy, even if the care label doesn’t require it.
Shop for New Curtains in Welwyn Garden City
Regularly cleaning your curtains prolongs their lifespan and contributes to a healthier home environment. At Absolute Blinds, we aim to help you get the most from your window treatments. We’re a small, family-run business in Welwyn Garden City with 25 years of experience. So whether you need help choosing the perfect made-to-measure curtains or want advice on maintaining your existing window coverings, we’re here for you. Call us on 01707 244855 or visit our showroom today for more information. We’re always ready to welcome you with expert advice and friendly service.